Real research, real data, real discoveries – Inspiring stuff!
Did you know 24 million journeys happen every single day on the Transport for London (TfL) network. Every journey matters to us, and it is our Analytics Team who working with leading universities across the world, including MIT and Imperial College, make sense of that data to help us make these journeys better.
With such Big Data, for example we have the most contactless payments of any retailer in Europe, there is so much more to be discovered and that is why we have linked to the Institute of Research in Schools (IRIS) to bring real life data and research into the classroom to enable the students themselves to make discoveries no-one has before.
With the aims of inspiring more students, raising STEM aspirations and enriching the careers of teachers, IRIS have already linked school students to work with CERN data and Tim Peak on the International Space Station.
Why Transport for London?
By discovering how we innovate, invest and maintain our transport network, you gain real-world examples to enthuse your students in the classroom using London’s transport system. What better way to inspire your students than by exploring something they use every day?
A bit about Transport for London
Our goal is to keep London working and growing and make life in London better. We will deliver a transport system that secures London’s position as a world-leading city and the engine of the UK economy. Our services will ensure that those who live, work in, and visit London, can access all the capital has to offer in terms of jobs, leisure, health and education.
Did you know….
- We manage the largest volume of contactless payments in Europe?
- We reinvest all of our income in the transport network?
- We work with thousands of suppliers across the UK, supporting an estimated 60,000 jobs outside London?
- By 2031, it’s expected London will have grown by the size of Birmingham and Glasgow combined...?
- London Underground is 152 years old?
- We operate a free Dial-a-Ride service which provides door-to-door transport for those unable to access public transport?
- There are 24 million journeys made on our network every day?
- We work with leading universities across the world, including MIT and Imperial College, to transfer academic research into business improvements?
- In 2013 we made the largest order of hybrid buses ever placed in Europe. It will deliver significant environmental benefits, including an expected reduction of CO2 emissions in the Capital of almost 20,000 tonnes a year. Independent emission testing of a prototype vehicle has shown it's the cleanest and greenest bus of its type anywhere in the world?
- We have set a target to achieve a 40% reduction in total NOx emissions and 50% in total PM10 emissions by 2017/18 against 2005/06 levels
- Launched in 2011, the city-wide electric vehicle charging network has 1,300 charge points across the Capital?
- In 2015 we had 19 different type of apprenticeships ranging from level 2 Track Maintenance to Level 6 degree level Quantity Surveying and 17 different Graduate Schemes